Advantages of HTML5
HMTL5 is a collection of features, technologies, and APIs that brings the power of the desktop and rich multimedia UX to the web—while building on the web’s innate strengths of interactivity and connectivity.
Today, the web browser is becoming the main platform for communication, business or gaming. HTML5 features are supported on modern web browsers.
HTML5 makes it possible for the web to achieve the functionality, speed, performance, and user experience of desktop applications. With HTML 5 you now can create apps and websites that are fast, secure, responsive, interactive and stunning without the huge investment of time and money traditionally associated with their development or updating.
- HTML 5 allows users to quickly and easily access core web applications
- HTML5 is mobile-friendly. Web developers can use the same technologies they know to build rich web applications that work across different device types.
- Users don’t need to download apps or update them across multiple devices.
- Features like websockets, offline storage and rich user interface enables creation of outstanding web applications
High performance video, audio and graphics
The web is a visual medium and HTML5 offers the integration of video, audio or multimedia within your website’s code. You can present stunning video and photo galleries with faster load times.
Using HTML5 and CSS3, the audio and video effects are tagged and viewed without the use of third-party applications or plug-ins.
Here’s Apple’s showcase of HTML5 multimedia, audio, and graphics in action: http://www.apple.com/html5/showcase/video/
HTML5 offers enhanced multilingual support
- HTML5 supports a more semantic style of markup that allows for meaningful tags, and simpler, more understandable coding when dealing with multilingual content. For instance, HTML5 users can apply a simple “no” or “yes” code – to direct their translation partner to the content they are to work on. This eliminates the tedious process of annotation or list making.
- HTML5′s “bdi element” makes it easier to handle both left-to-right languages like English, and right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew, improving formatting and presentation especially when bi-directional languages are displayed side by side.
Businesses run on HTML5
HTML5 offers advantages to businesses over any other IT model – in terms of simplicity, lower cost, security, flexibility and mobility.
- HTML5 can be deployed across multiple platforms and a wide range of mobile devices
- Single source code for all platforms
- Development across multiple platforms is more efficient
- Offline working enhances productivity in the absence of an internet connection - with client-side databases to store data
Leading companies moving to HTML5 include Adobe, Salesforce, Citrix, Netflix, Twitter etc.
Games and apps are more engaging, interactive and stunning
HTML5 enables the creation of games that connect with users wherever they are – whether on desktop or mobile devices.
Features like high performance 2D and 3D graphics, offline asset storage, rich audio APIs, and socket-based networking let you create gripping modern games with a reach like never before.
CSS3 – Elegance and style without the coding pain
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) offer a simple mechanism for adding style (e.g., fonts, colors, spacing) to Web documents. CSS3 is the latest standard for CSS. CSS3 with its new technologies and extensions like 2D Transformations, Transitions, 3D Transforms and WebFonts makes it possible to create rich user experiences with no coding effort. Just apply some CSS to your existing applications.
With the advent of CSS3, apps can have an elegant, expressive, and flexible design. You can create visual enhancements like rounded corners, gradients, and shadows, text transformations, animations and 3D transformations.
Simplified color and image management allows for faster loading (fewer HTTP requests) and simpler redesigns. You can directly manipulate elements with mathematical access to graphics, rotating and zooming almost anything without swapping out images.
The following are some examples of what you can do in design, presentation and animation with CSS3:
Magazine-like layouts – wrap shapes, flow text and more with HTML and CSS3 regions
CSS 3D transforms – examples
CSS – Transitions and Transforms
CSS – Web Fonts
Flexible Box model
CSS3 is completely backwards compatible, so you will not have to change existing designs. Browsers will always support CSS2.